Stanford University, Stanford, California
Completed in 1931, Roble was designed by Bakewell & Brown to be the first women’s gym at Stanford. The large, Spanish Revival building included several gyms, locker rooms and offices surrounding an outdoor courtyard. The site was designed by the Olmsted Brothers and featured a formal entry and drop-off set among native oaks. The scope of the project included a complete renovation of the building to meet current codes and support the programs of the Department of Theater and Performance Studies. The improvements included dance studios, rehearsal spaces, a drop-in art studio and a new theater. The existing terrace on the west side of the building was renovated to provide an outdoor performance space. Landscape improvements include new pathways, seating areas, bicycle parking and a complete replacement of the existing planting. Plant materials were selected to reference the original Olmsted design and to meet Stanford’s goals for a creating a sustainable and low maintenance campus landscape.